Is RSS Dead?
Is RSS, the backbone of content distribution online, tapped out from broader consumer standpoint?
According to Forrester Research it is:
With only 11% of consumers using RSS, and of the remaining 89% of those who don’t use RSS feeds, only 17% of them saying they are interested in using them in the future, it looks like broadly distributed online content has a dark future.
However, I have to take a different tack then Steve Rubel or Forrester on this. If I were to survey US consumers right after World War II on whether they think they would use a television, and for those who don’t, do they think they would in the future, I’d probably get roughly the same data back as Forrester got on RSS.
I agree that RSS is a geeky term and most of the broader base of the US public still don’t use RSS readers.
But just like Apple was able to use consumer insights to make music downloads and the mobile internet interesting to the broader public, and Google was able to make search engines decidedly not techie, I think there is a great opportunity for someone to take all the content currently available in RSS format and make it as easy to access as the evening news on TV.
RSS in its current form may not be the answer, but that doesn’t mean we should be reading its obituary.